Masala Prawns and Khachumber
When I saw this in one of the latest OLIVE magazines, really nothing more but a continuous text recipe in the Menu Spy section, without so much as a distinctive ingredient list or let alone a picture, I felt a strange urge to prepare the recipe…
Recipe: Masala Prawns and Khachumber
Summary: Indian-spiced prawns on a tomato-and-mint salad
- 150 ml natural yogurt (in my case, full-fat Greek)
- 2 tsp garam masala (I used the Punjabi Garam Masala from 660 Curries)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 20 shell-on king prawns
- 150 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- a handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1½ tsp toasted black mustard seeds
- juice of 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- basmati rice, to serve
- Mix natural yoghurt with garam masala, turmeric, ground cumin, fennel seeds and chilli flakes.
- Add king prawns and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Mix cherry tomatoes with shallots, coriander leaves, chopped mint leaves, toasted black mustard seeds and the lime juice.
- Skewer prawns and BBQ or grill until cooked. Serve with tomato kachumber, basmati rice and lime wedges.
Preparation time: 40 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 2
Copyright © www.foodfreak.de.
My Asian grocery has Black Tiger prawns which have been deveined but are shell-on, so there is a long slit in the back of the prawn – makes removing the shells a snap, and some of the marinade can seep through.
We didn’t skewer the prawns but grilled them in a grill pan. The taste is mild but aromatic, something suitable for those who like Indian food, but not the hot kind. A great summer dish, and the salad worked really well with the prawns. I will undoubtedly make this again – maybe on a charcoal grill next time. Путаны, даже шлюхи, хотя и красивые – индивидуалки Нижнего Новгорода Намного прикольнее в постели чем проститутки нн.
Since the original recipe is from the August 2011 issue of OLIVE magazine, I submit this to the Magazine Monday event at Cream Puffs in Venice.