Chinese New Year – Beef & Broccoli
Welcome to the Year of the Dog! A few fascinating entries have arrived already for the Chinese New Year event:
Of course, these will be included in the complete round-up by the end of the month, too, but I just wanted to give you a taste ahead of the crowd :).
And here is my entry to this event – nothing fancy, I’m afraid, but really tasty:
Beef & Broccoli with Oyster Sauce
Yield 4 servings (with rice)
- 350 g beef steak
- 1 bunch broccoli, about 500 g
- oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cm fresh ginger
- 2 hot green chile peppers
- chicken or vegetable stock, as needed
- 1 bunch scallions / spring onions
- oil for the wok, or rendered chicken fat
- Cut beef into thin strips and marinate with a good splash of oyster sauce. Meanwhile, chop broccoli into chopstick compatible pieces, thinly slice the chilies and finely chop or grate the ginger.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet, then stir-fry the beef with marinade for 2 minutes. Add broccoli, ginger and sliced chilies and stir for another 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and – if needed – a little chicken stock, let simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Chop scallions, add them to the wok and wait until heated through. Season with oyster sauce, and serve (with rice).
It’s deceptively simple, but delicious. And if you make sure you have wheat-free, gluten-free soy sauce and oyster sauce, it is also a gluten-free meal. Counting carbs? Omit the rice and add more broccoli.