Dum aloo, sweet and spicy new potatoesDieser Artikel wurde zuletzt am 22. Juni 2014 aktualisiert
Summer, it seems, was a Wednesday in May, right now there is a steady downpour, and my roof terrace looks like a pond – high time for some warming comfort food.
This is perfect with tiny new potatoes, which don’t need peeling, just a thorough scrub.
|Dum aloo, sweet and spicy new potatoes||
- about 30 small new potatoes
- 2 tbsp ghee, or coconut oil
- 5-6 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, or cassia bark
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 400 g can cherry tomatoes, or chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 serrano chile
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel the skins if you prefer.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan over a medium heat. Crush the cardamom pods and cumin seeds in a mortar. Add to the pan along with cinnamon or cassia and bay leaf.
- When the cumin seeds start to sizzle, add the potatoes, ginger, tomatoes, sugar and a splash of water. Season well with salt, partially cover and continue cooking over a low heat until half the liquid evaporates and the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Seed the serrano chile, slice into thin strips and stir into the sauce. When the chile is heated through, add the coriander, season with s+p, and serve.